Monday, August 27, 2007

School!

The last two weeks have been spent getting ready for and starting Kindergarten. We went to registration after filling out about a thousand forms and almost that many checks. Mia got to meet her teacher, Mrs. Lippa, for a minute and see her soon to be classroom. She met a couple of kids, but wouldn't say a word to any of them...not a good sign.

Mia's first day was last Monday the 20th. She was really excited and looked so confident all decked out in her new "school clothes" and ginormous backpack. I hoped her confidence would hold out for our first goodbyes. The kindergarteners meet on the playground before school each day and the parents don't even step foot inside the school. So, when the bell rang she lined up and gave me a big hug and kiss. As I let go she immediately started to tear up and looked at me like she was wounded, but she was brave for the both of us and didn't cry as she walked away with her class. I, on the other hand, cried most of the way home. After school, she said she was sad when I left her but then when she got to class she was brave because God was helping her because of the blessing Jared gave her the night before. Her only other comment I could get out of her about school was that it was boring. Luckily the second day was only a little boring and since then she has loved every minute of it and not had a single problem saying goodbye. She has already made a good friend. Her name is Bella Ames, and they play everyday before school and at recess.
I have to admit I was so nervous for this whole school thing to start, especially since we didn't know a single soul at this school and I hate driving in rush hour traffic. I am so glad that the first week is over and we can settle into our new routine. I've figured out the best routes to take in rush hour traffic, how to manuver the parking lot during drop off and pick up, and Mia has a friend...What more can I ask for.
Mason has missed Mia at home and is always excited to go pick her up.

7 comments:

simplycreating said...

Ahhh the first day a school. I have to say it was definitly the emotional roller coaster. I'm glad she is liking her school so much and she looks absolutely darling.

Jaclyn said...

She is such a doll!

Jason, Tiffany, and the Crew said...

Just reading your blog makes me teary all over again...Isn't it funny, you wonder who is more nervous about the whole school thing, the parents or the children. Liz, you are amazing to be driving through rush hour traffic to get to school...I would crawl up in fetal position and just cry if I had to do the same thing...you go girl! -Tiffany

Jake and Annika said...

I wish I could keep Anson at home forever! You're so brave. I am calling you when it's my turn to send mine off to school to get some encouragement.

Jaime And Tyrell said...

She looks so cute and ready I am glad that it all went so well for her.

Tracy Giles said...

I got teary eyed just reading about her first day of school. I don't know what I'm going to do when Lily goes. I will probably sit in the car outside of the school the entire day and cry. I love her new school clothes, she looks very cute.

Lindsey Ricks Benedict said...

Mia really is a brave little girl! I love her large pink backpack and that she was bored the first day! Glad she has made a friend and I feel for you having to sit in traffic, not fun!