Friday, August 07, 2009

chicken coop

When we got to my parents house at 3 in the morning, the first thing the kids did was go downstairs to look at the baby chicks that were living in a box under a heat lamp. My Dad decided to build a chicken coop and raise 10 chickens all in the name of self reliance. The kids think it is the coolest thing ever. They love checking them every morning and night; filling their food and water containers; catching grasshoppers and earwigs to feed them; and just watching them grow all summer. They should be big enough to lay eggs this fall.....I have no idea what my parents are going to do with that many eggs, but it's pretty cool huh. These pictures are of the kids painting the coop with my Dad. They also have their handprints, names and birth dates on the back, but I don't think I got a picture of that. Jared spent a long hot day building the chicken run and door for the chickens. The chickens moved in a few weeks after we got there and it all turned out great.


1 comment:

The Allens said...

That is ambitious of your parents to raise chickens. It would be kind of nice though to be able to go get an egg whenever you wanted to...good for them! Glad you guys had a fun trip to Idaho. I talked to Tifani and we are already planning the big reunion next summer. Start thinking of fun things to do!